Data security and integrity is an essential factor. To mitigate the risk of unauthorized access or corruption of files, security measures such as file encryption and password protection is of greater importance.
From the below steps, I will walk you through password protecting files on ubuntu 18.
- Put all the files or file you want to protect in a folder.
- Right click on the folder then compress, choose your desired compression format either .zip, .tar.xz or .7z then click on create. You can also rename the file name.
- Once the compression process is completed, double click on the compressed file to open.
- Click on the menu icon at the top right corner of the opened window then password. A small dialogue box pops up for you to enter your desired password. Enter the password and save.
- You just completed the process of password protecting your files on ubuntu 18.